How Long Can Postpartum Depression Last For?
Having a baby should be a joyful time. However, it isn’t always that way. Many new mothers struggle with postpartum depression, which can really be hard on a new family.
What is postpartum depression?
Postpartum depression is depression that occurs after childbirth. Those who suffer from the disease are more likely to have depression throughout the rest of their lives.
What are the symptoms of postpartum depression?
Common symptoms include:
- Insomnia and excessive fatigue
- Irritability and moodiness
- Struggling to bond with the baby
- Loss of pleasure
- Feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness
If untreated for a long period of time, mothers who struggle with postpartum depression could harm themselves or their babies.
How can you help someone with postpartum depression?
If you know someone who is suffering, you need to be there for her. Here are some things that you can do.
- Visit regularly to check on her and the baby. She shouldn’t feel so alone.
- While there, help around the house. Take the baby so she can shower and nap. Clean the kitchen or bathroom. Do a load of laundry. These little things really add up, especially with new mothers who are overwhelmed.
- Make sure that she gets the help that she needs. This doesn’t just include talking to her about the condition. You may need to take her to appointments and wait while she is there to make sure that she is getting what she needs.
How long can it last for?
Though many mothers struggle after childbirth, postpartum depression takes it to a whole other level. Mothers can feel anxiety and depression in the first few weeks after having a baby. However, it can last several months.
In fact, a study showed that fifty percent of women still had symptoms a year after giving birth. Thirty percent of them were still depressed three years later.
Why should you call or see Dr. Anastasiou for postpartum depression?
The treatment for postpartum depression may include antidepressants, hormone therapy, and counseling. Dr. Anastasiou is a board-certified psychiatrist with over ten years of experience. If you or someone that you love is ready to get help, don’t hesitate to contact us today!